Bread in the aquarium

Bread in the aquarium

Postby Craw Chief » April 8th, 2013, 10:41 pm

[quote:0d7b74c168="Vera"]I have had that problem before. My kids were feeding their goldfish bread behind my back and the yeast grew. Do you have sneaky kids?[/quote:0d7b74c168]\n\n...not but i have a sneaky boyfriend! and he did used to feed my koi bread.

'Do not ever let anybody or anyting feed your aquarium bread! It is one of the most detrimental things to aquarium life! I still have to smack my husbands hands after too many years! :lol: He always wants to feed fishes bread! I have done it myself in huge ponds with sunfish, but it cannot be done in an aquarium! Yeast is so strong a substance that it can take over so easily! Any woman knows that! It grows everywhere at body temperature and should never be intoduced to aqurium life! Personally, since you already have your animals living in a different container, you should probably totally clean the system they were living in before. I would bleach it and rinse it as many times as you can stand, then cycle it as the others have prescribed here for systems. Bleach takes at least 3 days to dissapate, but I would go a week if possible, I don''t trust things too much. Your crays can make it several weeks in an inch of water (that''s enough to keep their gills wet), but I don''t know what else you have in their tank. Also, if you have yeast growing you may want to check your temperature. It likes pretty high temps and crayfish don''t! Good luck and please keep us posted
Craw Chief

Return to Blue Crayfish Forum Archives