Large scale breeding

Large scale breeding

Postby Craw Chief » April 16th, 2013, 4:52 pm

Some info can be found on the Harvesting and Breeding page of Bluecrayfish.com: http://www.bluecrayfish.com/harvest.html

, 'Gutter place 4 babies.... ?', 'Hi Bob...My tank was full with babies 2 weeks old. but they start to fight each others. from 157 born, now about 40 already dead. what should I do :?: poor my babies... :cry: I had tried to make other place for babies, but I made it like you do with gutter :) but I still confuse about circulation oxygen n filtering. Could you help me ? I just want to try to be a yubbies farm like u, with ur gutters ideas :wink:

The gutter system to which the OP was referring:

'The gutter system flopped miserably. the pump and air pump failed and i lost hundreds of crayfish. The system is good, I just lost heart when it was something else that failed, not the system itself.

What is working well for me is a combination of plants and netting. Either a laundry bag or netting from a net. I also added pieces of pvc pipe. The thicker the structure, the better. Also split them up in to at least two aquariums.

'Successfully separated the mom from the babies. Put her in a new tank right next to her kids. We have confirmed 7 little craybies. All are doing well. Within the first week we already noticed a skin from a fresh moulting. This is very exciting.

'The babies will stay under the mothers tail for about a day. Just hold the mom over the tank and "scape" them off CAREFULLY! Then when u have them off move the mom.'

'i believe the best way to go is ten gallons per cray. and make sure you get all tanks cycled. i am not sure when you would haqve to seperate the babies. i personally wouldnt breed them unless i knew i had a person or shop to take them all. i have cichlids that are breeding out of controll and i dont have a dining room as a result. i have no where to put them and no one to give them to
Craw Chief

Return to Blue Crayfish Forum Archives